onsdag 10. mai 2017

No more questions? - a time for everything *

NORSK
In the passage I have studied during the last few days, Jesus gave room for many questions, and I think Jesus liked when the disciples asked questions.

I am also convinced that it is healthy that questions are asked in the world of faith. Questions open up for conversation and discussion, and I think that the conversation is at least as important for building faith as the preaching is (1).

However, when Jesus prepared his disciples for the time after the resurrection, he said:
In that day you will no longer ask me anything.
John 16:23a
There are at least two possible interpretations on this statement:
  1. Jesus knew that much would fall into place for the disciples after the resurrection and that the Holy Spirit would give the disciples a new insight.
  2. In this context, 'ask' is not related to having queries and asking questions but rather to the act of praying.
There are several reasons why I prefer the second interpretation.
  • Firstly, Jesus continues to speak of prayer: Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.
  • Secondly, Jesus had completed his mission and given all believers access to the Father. That is the way we are going to pray. More about this tomorrow.
‘Manna’ for today:
I know whom I will 'ask'!
----------------------------------------

(1) When Paul stayed in Ephesus, the conversation had an important place in his mission and with great effect: He took the disciples with him and had discussions daily in the lecture hall of Tyrannus. This went on for two years, so that all the Jews and Greeks who lived in the province of Asia heard the word of the Lord. Acts 19:9b-10 
'A time for everything' is connected with the Bible's teaching about a 'season for every activity' Eccl 3 This series is about the teaching in the ime between Easter and Pentecost

Ingen kommentarer: